Sunday, January 20, 2008

Straddling the Gap

I’m straddling the generation gap. How did I get here? When did I get here? It started several years ago as a crack widening until it became a gap.

I should have seen it coming when my husband gave me a mug with the caption

“It's official I've become my mother.”

Nothing against MY mother, she’s great. It’s more about becoming “YOUR PARENTS”. As children, we swear we will not grow up to be our parents, who are sooo uncool.

I live with 3 teenagers, one is 20, so technically 2 teenagers and 1 young adult. Anyone who has dealt with teenagers knows they would rather eat glass then be seen in public with their parents. I can live with it because I know, as my parents before me, that one day they, too, will look in the mirror and wonder who's that old person staring back at them.


As I reflect, I think it started with the car. One child, I’m still driving a cool car. Second child, I’m driving a station wagon. Third child, I’m driving the dreaded minivan. Next, the clothes and accessories go from funky and hip to something more age appropriate, covering more and flashing less. My hairstyles became sedate also. Balancing the tightrope of current fashion and age appropriate style can be challenging.

Music was the most obvious sign. But did I notice, not until recently. I like a lot of different music genres. As the years go by the new stuff is sounding more and more like noise and I find myself saying things like “Turn that off, I can’t listen to that.” or “That’s not music. I can’t even understand what they are saying.”

The most telling though is my advice. I give advice that makes my kids roll their eyes and tell me “Maybe that’s how it was in the olden days, things are different today.” Bam that’s when it hit me. “Olden days” Huh? Or I say something my mother would have said and gasp “Did those words just come out of my mouth?” The truth be told,

It's official I've become my mother.

So are you straddling the gap? Do you even see the crack under your feet or have you managed to find the balance to keep the gap from spreading? Or like me, did it sneak up on you before you realized it?

No comments: