Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Size Doesn’t Matter



Spring/Summer fashions have arrived.
What’s a girl to do?

$HOP!!!

I love to shop, but I don’t have time to spend hours perusing the racks. I grab a lunch hour here and there, a Saturday every once in a while. I used to spend a few moments looking over a rack, if I saw something I liked I would grab my size and move on, eventually finding my way to the dressing room. Sometimes I bought items I liked and didn’t have time to try on, sure my size would fit. Those items seldom went back due to size.

Not anymore.

Sizing for womens’ clothing has changed significantly over the last few years. Universal sizing is no longer dependable. Designers have their own size charts. Now a trip to the dressing room means bringing at least three of everything I want to try on; my size (or what I guess is my size) along with the next size smaller and larger. For awhile I could even count on a couple of my favorite labels/collections to be consistent. That, too, has changed.

Even shoes have been affected by this trend. Not only do lengths vary but widths also. It is very hard to find a decent selection of narrow or wide women shoes.

I look around and see more women wearing sizes and styles that are not flattering to their body types. Feet crammed into shoes that don’t fit properly. Yet a day shopping at the local mall proves that sizes and styles are limited. It seems clothing is designed for a perceived generic body type that a small percentage of women have.

Buying without trying,
No longer an option.

No comments: