Tuesday, January 15, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog

To Blog or Not to Blog, that is the “?”

If everyone jumps off the bridge,
would you?

Seems so, here I am – blogging.


40-something woman, 20+ years wife, mother of 3, owned by 3 dogs and devoted member of a support group of my dearest friends.


Like most women I wear many hats – cook, housekeeper, ATM, maid, chauffer, medic, ATM, disciplinarian, last resort listener, gopher, bail bondsman (not literally), ATM, answering machine, champion, etc… (sounds like a personal ad)


Who is M. T. Nester?


Mother of 3 teenagers - 15 yr old son, 17 yr & 20 yr old daughters; mix in hot flashes, mood swings, bloating, typical aches & pains of middle age and I’m a walking advertisement for Prozac – mid-life crisis not withstanding.


My goal the last couple of years has been to stay sane until the kids leave the nest so DH and I can have a life where we come first, the house is clean, there is food in the pantry and fridge, money in the bank and gas in the car.



I just don’t get the whole empty nest thing. I love my children but as I see it my job is to raise well-adjusted, independent individuals to go out into the world as productive adults. I imagine if they moved ½ way around the world I would be sad and worried but barring that I imagine(daily)helping them move their stuff and get settled in their own space; preferably not in my basement or garage.



"Teen" is the hardest stage of parenting. This stage is mentally and emotionally exhausting; always trying to stay one step ahead while looking for the repeat button on the house, dating, school, and driving rules.


“Easy” you say,

“No problem” you snicker,

then you either don’t have teenagers or you can look back and laugh about it now.


Am I alone in my thinking? Are you ready for your chicks to fly the nest or do you want them to feather it abit longer?

2 comments:

boysrus said...

I am new to blogging as well, but I have to say, I really enjoy your comments and your perspective about growing children, kids leaving the nest and the varying levels of "need" that they have. It seems like we sweat and toil to raise our children into productive members of society, and just when they get to the stage that they are once again, dare I say it, enjoyable, they leave to give others their "best" personality, support and friendliness to others. How can we not feel robbed or cheated?

M T Nestr said...

boysrus:

Thank you for checking out my blog and commenting. I would love to check out yours too.

Post a link so I can take a look.