Thursday, January 31, 2008

PITA: Not just bread

A family moved into the neighborhood years ago. They had three children, 2 girls and 1 boy. I knew their names were Jan, Fran and Dan because I heard their mother calling them. But every time their father called it was PITA1, PITA2, etc or PITAs.

It was said affectionately and I always thought it was sweet. One day at a neighborhood BarBQ, I casually asked him what it meant. I had always been struck by the endearment and how no one else called them by their
dad's pet name.

He started to laugh while his wife rolled her eyes and responded,
"Well, PITA stands for Pain In The A$$ and I assign a number by birth order."

I was appalled at the time but as the years went by and my own children became older the name seemed more appropriate.
I started to call them PITA1, PITA2 & PITA3.

For the sake of anonymity
when I post about my 3 lovely children I will refer to them as
PITA1, PITA2, & PITA3.

Curious about the origin of the word "PITA" I looked it up. It's centuries old and usually always referred to a flat round bread (actually pizza is a type of pita) but I found another version - "Pita bread or Basilo pita is like a cake or tart, with a single layer of sponge cake or bread that is typically circular and flat."


Interesting - my PITAs definitely have spongelike qualities.
They absorb my money, my food, my gas and my energy.
Yet, when asked to reciprocate, they are dried out.

2 comments:

ekt3 said...

Very Interesting.

cozinak said...

Wow! And all this time I thought that pita was just really yummy with tuna and cheese! Simple is good. Don't forget pita is sometimes known as the healthy alternative to white bread...just think instead of pita kids you could have Wonder kids...that could be worse. Now ain't that a thought!