Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fickle, Fickle Heart




You couldn't pay me to go back to my teen years.

I complain about living with teenagers, but I am not so old that I don't remember how emotionally challenging it was.


I fell in love easily. Going steady with a boy for a summer was like a lifetime. Looking back I see how careless it was, I was my own worse enemy.

PITA2 (middle daughter) recently met a boy at the mall. Both were with a friend who also seemed to hit it off. This budding relationship was a little over a week old when I found out about it. After asking the questions most parents ask, it was determined this young man was inappropriate for my daughter. Simply put; too old.

To my amazement, with very little fanfare, some tears, she ran up stairs to tell him she couldn't see him anymore. Over the next few days, I heard very little if anything about this young man.

One week later, about 9:30AM, PITA2 calls me at work from school. She is incoherent, crying and barely able to talk, requesting to have me excuse her from school. After several minutes I'm able to piece together - today she found out young man had replaced her and her friend had set them up. Remember this young man was in her life for a second.

Not known for my tact, I told her to go to the Ladies Room, get herself under control and head back to class. After school she could go home, lay on her bed and cry her eyes out if she wished but I could not condone getting out of school for such reason.

4PM I receive another call from PITA2 sounding quite chipper. She announces "I am over him. He is a jerk anyway."

I don't know if another caught her eye or she is becoming wiser where men are concerned.
I know she has a fickle heart.


No comments: