Sunday, March 16, 2008

Whose Your Dawgy?!


I'm participating in a blog chain this month. The topic is pets, mostly dogs.
Some talk about how their animals own them while one even enjoys being a pet to her husband.
After giving it some thought, I decided to write about how in my next life I want to come back as one of these pets. Don't get me wrong, some pets have terrible lives, living at the mercy of their owners. I'm talking about the type of pampered pets mentioned in the previous blog chain posts.
I look at my three dogs and think "Who has it better than you?!"

Here's how I see it.

Wake up stretching and scratching what needs attention. My humans tell me how happy they are to see me, tousle my hair and open the door so I can take care of business. They immediately come when I scratch at the door.

I spend the next hour exploring the house, nosing through the wastepaper baskets, leaving bits of whatever here and there. I move on to check on everyone, picking up a sock or scarf in one room and leaving it in another. My humans get annoyed but pick it all up for me. As the humans start getting ready for their day, I get some exercise running around sniffing for breakfast leftovers, supervising the making of lunches and trying to pull the bag of bread off the counter. Then there's the shoe races. I take a shoe and make my human chase me. By now my humans leave one by one to go where ever they go.

Thank goodness because I'm ready for a morning nap in a sunny location, preferably on a nice comfy chair. For the next several hours I get up occasionally to investigate a noise, bark at the birds and squirrels in the backyard, and adjust my napping spot to the position of the sun. Several hours later the humans start to return.

I am always happy when my humans return. It means "me time" begins. I go out and take care of business. I get treats (several but don't tell anyone). Everyone pets and loves on me telling me how I am the cutest, sweetest doggy there is. My dinner is prepared, served and cleaned up after I am done.

I spend my evenings curled up with one of my humans. Usually they spend time rubbing my belly or scratching my ears. Oh, how I love that. Overall I think I've done a fine job of training them so far.

Then there is Spa Day. Once every three weeks, I get to ride in the car. I go to another human's. She gives me a bath, conditioning my coat til it's so soft and smells wonderful. She brushes my coat while drying it, trimming any scraggly hairs as needed. My nails are filed and my ears are cleaned. I socialize with some of the other spa attendees, enjoying a relaxing day.

Yeah, whose got it better than me.

Here are some of the blogs in this month's blog chain. Check them out:

Secret Government EGGO Project
Fantastical Imagination
For the First Time
Virtual Wordsmith
Polyspace
Polenth's Quill
Food History
Spontaneous Derivation
Spittin' (out words) Like a Llama
Fresh Hell
SLAKE
Forbidden Snowflake
Virginia Lee's Vagaries

12 comments:

colbymarshall said...

Not to mention if you are one of these pets, you most likely will have a tail, which is a dear ambition of mine. One day I want to have a tail. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun. Animals have QUITE the life!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what it would be like to not have the worries of the world!

I can't say I'd hate the life... ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I was obviously born the wrong species.

Anonymous said...

My main thought is "Where are the books in the perfect pet existence? Life is just not complete without boks."

Arachne Jericho said...

Life as a pet doesn't reach its heights until you learn how to open the doors. Although without thumbs, this can be tough.

Cats with thumbs are the next level of evolution.

Come back as one of those. *g*

Anonymous said...

Who would want a tail? Or be reborn as a cat? Crazy people. I think. I just want to be reborn as a rat. They can eat books.

Kate Boddie said...

I wish my days were like that with my dog! Oh how I wish for a sedate day!

Anonymous said...

Oh I think dogs and cats have the life. They don't seem to worry about their young and that would take so much pressure off. Life sure is hard on us humans.

VirtualWordsmith said...

The thing is, sometimes pets have to wait to be fed, and sometimes the pet's kids forget to clean out the litter box. I think I'd be very upset to find no place available to do my business. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely jealous of pets! I would love to come back as a cat, nothing better to do than rule my world and sleep in the sun shining through a window.

Polenth said...

One problem with being a dog is the lack of ability to taste sweetness. I like sugar...